BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 28, 2011

Mind Over Matter

Rock hard muscles can be built in the weight room, but what good are they if a fighter does not have nerves of steel? Champions in all sports have testified to the vital role that a strong mind plays in their success, and that includes fighters, who will say mental tenacity plays a far greater role in becoming an elite mixed martial artist than strength, conditioning or technique.

From personal experience as an amateur boxer, I can attest that if your mind and nerves aren't in sync, the results will be catastrophic. The hardest part of boxing for me was the long walk into the ring where I expended most of my energy thinking how embarrassing it was going to be getting knocked out.

The fear of failure consumed me and drained most of my energy. I had the technique and power but was missing a champion's mindset. If you don’t want to fight it doesn’t matter how great your conditioning or technique is, because when you feel that punch, you'll turn, run and hide into a cloud of fear.

0 comments: